Coghetti

Francesco COGHETTI - 1801 - 1875
Pope Eugenius III blessing the arms of Duke Amadeo III of Savoy before the latter’s Departure on the Crusade
School of Turin

------------------
Black chalk
Some outlines incised

27.2 X 41.0 cm

Euro : 2500,-

Francesco Coghetti, born in Bergamo in 1801, began his studies with the Lombard Neo-classical painter Giuseppe Diotti at the Accademia Carrara di Belle Arti in Bergamo in 1816 and in 1821 he went to study under Vincenzo Camuccini. He combined a formal Neo-classical training with the influence of Tommaso Minardi and the Puristi. In 1821 he won the “Grande Concorso per il Disegno di Figura” announced by the Milanese Accademia di Brera. Francesco Coghetti acquired a studio in Rome in 1825, although he returned to Bergamo for his first commissions, for the Churches of San Bartolomeo and San Michele dell’Arco. He became a member of the Accademia Nazionale di San Luca in Rome in 1834. Between 1837 and 1842 he decorated Palazzo Torlonia in Piazza Venezia, Villa Torlonia at Porta Pia and Villa Torlonia in Rome. From the 1840’s onward he moved closer to the style of the Puristi, decorating the church of San Paolo fori le Mura and San Carlo ai Catinari both in Rome and the Cathedral of Savona. He was Director of Painting at the Accademia from 1858 to 1873. Francesco Coghtetti died in Rome in 1875.

A detailed preparatory study for the painting by Francesco Coghetti of the same title now hanging in the Sala Rosso, Appartamento del Re” in the Castello Ducale in Aglié, located to the north of Torino. The painting was made in 1846, and together with “Parnassus” and the “History of Alexander the Great” both kept in Villa Torliani in Rome, they are the only surviving works by Coghetti that were not commissioned by the church.


 

This site has been optimized for Internet Explorer 4.x and higher. Screen Resolution 1024 x 768.
Copyright © Stefan Kekko. All rights reserved.

E-mail us to report errors on this website.